“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” ~Sun Tzu
This is one of my favorite quotes. I’ve leaned on this to help people understand the need for a balanced approach to solving business problems. Our tendency seems always to lean on one over the other. Ensuring that both strategy and tactics are used to drive meaningful execution is a fine art. But what is missing? Why is it that even in the face of facts supporting your very well-reasoned approach, the organization doesn’t always go along with the plan? You have a clear strategy with aspirational goals combined with a SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound) plan of attack. What could go wrong?
“Culture eats strategy for lunch” Attributed to Peter Drucker
Really? Has anybody seen this in action? I believe I have. And what is particularly interesting is that there seems to be some controversy to this idea. So what is happening when we observe this? I have some opinions about this, but I look forward to learning from you during the #LeadWithGiants tweetchat on Monday, 24 February at 7pm, Eastern time. On its face, this seems like a very appealing explanation for why things go wrong. And if it is true, what is a leader to do about it? Think about it and be prepared to debate based on your experience. Some of the questions we will address are:
1. We talk a lot about culture, but really, what is culture?
2. And what is strategy? Is it distinguishable from vision &/or mission?
3. Does culture really eat strategy for lunch, as suggested? Why or why not?
4. Does strategy shape culture, or culture shape strategy? How?
5. Which is the bigger influence: strategy, culture or tactics? Why?
6. Who owns strategy? Culture? Why?
7. What is the leader’s role in the Culture=>Strategy=>Tactics equation?
8. What is the follower’s role in the Culture=>Strategy=>Tactics equation?
9. Who is accountable when Culture, Strategy, and Tactics are out of balance?
10. What actions do you as a leader or follower take when you see Culture, Strategy, and Tactics are out of balance?
I very much look forward to hearing from the #LeadWithGiants community on this important topic. Please join and invite your friends and colleagues to join us on Monday night, 24 February at 7pm eastern.